Work With Us
Program Manager, Agriculture (3 year term)
Canadian Agri-Food Automation and Intelligence Network (CAAIN) is seeking a knowledgeable and creative Program Manager, Agriculture, to contribute to our organization and its research and innovation project investments to achieve success.
Are You Our Program Manager, Agriculture?
You would be a good fit for this position if you:
- Are passionate about Canada’s agriculture industry and the positive impact that further developing automated and digitized technologies will have
- Have a strong network of connections and enjoy utilizing your expertise to collaborate with multiple stakeholders
- Enjoy being an active contributor to your organization’s strategy and its implementation
CAAIN is a new company located in Edmonton, Alberta that brings together technology and agri-food companies to create innovative solutions to improve competitiveness, drive growth, and create jobs. We want to bring together technology and agri-food companies focused on creating and integrating automation and digital solutions in Canada’s agri-food sector. Agri-food developments in the areas of artificial intelligence, advanced sensor technologies, hyperspectral imaging, and blockchain applications for Canadian agri-food producers are examples of what drives us.
Intrigued? Here’s More Information About the Role
Working collaboratively with team members, industry stakeholders and advisory committees, the program manager, agriculture will provide input into CAAIN’s strategic direction and develop and implement CAAIN’s competitive programs. The program manager, agriculture will also oversee delivery of CAAIN initiatives including monitoring project milestones and financial performance. The successful incumbent will be accountable for (but not limited to) the following:
- Research or investigate agriculture and food sector emerging issues and trends providing guidance to the CEO
- Provide recommendations for CAAIN’s strategic and business framework that responds to emerging market opportunities, addresses issues, and supports future industry needs
- Develop or contribute to white papers designed to inform CAAIN plans and programming
- Participates in business planning, providing advice for development of documents and programs
- Contribute to development and implementation of CAAIN’s competitive research and innovation programs including guidelines, application templates, and applicant resource materials
- Leading or participating in the assessment of applications including critical review of budget documents for eligible expenses, arranging for technical and/or scientific peer review and supporting development of committee recommendations
- Leveraging funding opportunities through industry collaborations and partnerships
- Managing individual project files by monitoring milestone achievement, project progress, and conducting financial analysis
- Provide coaching, guidance, and resources to potential applicants and project leads
- Gathering data to populate required reports and develop assessment methods for monitoring CAAIN’s outcomes
- Seeking and maintaining effective partnerships with a broad range of Canadian agri-food and technology industry stakeholders in support of CAAIN programming
- Fostering national connections between government, academics, and industry
- Working collaboratively with stakeholders to identify opportunities, challenges, issues and solutions.
- Lead or support CAAIN sponsored events such as workshops, conferences, annual meetings, etc.
Qualifications and Skills We’re Looking For
- A post graduate degree in agriculture, data or technology science is required
- A PhD, professional agrologist designation, and project management certificate is preferred
- 5 to 7 years experience in research related to agriculture in Canada
- A minimum of 3 years of project management, evaluation, and financial oversight experience
- Strong project management, research, environmental scanning, and predictive analysis skills
- Demonstrated ability to coach, mentor, lead, and support project teams
- Knowledge of agriculture sector including trends, research, best practices and management of intellectual property
- Ability to build partnerships and manage key strategic stakeholder relationships, generating respect and trust from a diverse group of external stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience with change management, and influencing project outcomes
- Motivated self-starter who is driven by results
- Adaptable and can develop creative “out of the box” solutions to challenges
- Superior written and verbal communication ability
- Solid understanding of private sector drivers versus academic drivers in research investment
- Technically savvy and able to use applications and Microsoft platforms
CAAIN offers the opportunity for the right individual to get in on the ground floor and shape the future of a brand new not for profit corporation. CAAIN is focused on growing and expanding a network of companies, academic and research organizations that are eager to explore how new and emerging technologies can be applied to enhance agri-food productivity and return premiums to those who participate. The implementation of CAAIN’s data and intellectual property management strategies will be key to its success.
We offer our employees opportunities to work on projects that will expand their skill sets while witnessing the visible impacts of their efforts. We value the development of our employees and create opportunities that allow new skills to be learned.
The final candidate will be required to undergo a security clearance. This competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
CAAIN is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.