Full-Time, Term Position ending March 31, 2026
Canadian Agri-Food Automation and Intelligence Network (CAAIN) is seeking a knowledgeable and enthusiastic Program Manager, to contribute to our organisation’s program delivery and our co-investment in Canada’s AgTech sector.
Are you our Program Manager?
You would be a good fit for this position if you:
- Are passionate about Canada’s agriculture and food sectors and the positive impact that further developing automated and digitized technologies will have in the near future
- Have a strong network of connections and enjoy utilizing your expertise to collaborate with multiple stakeholders
- Enjoy being an active contributor to your organisation’s strategy and its implementation
CAAIN is a national not-for-profit entity that connects technology and agri-food companies to develop innovation that will improve competitiveness, drive growth, and create jobs. Our goal is to attract and support innovators creating automated and digitised solutions to the biggest challenges facing Canada’s agri-food sector. And while we are mandated to fund initiatives focused on automation & robotics, data-drive decision-making, and smart farms, we are driven by the possibility of supporting projects that will benefit the 193,492 farms whose produce helps nourish a growing global population. In simple terms, CAAIN champions collaborative AgTech innovation to feed the future.
Intrigued? Here’s More Information about the Role
Working collaboratively with team members, industry stakeholders, and advisory committees, the Program Manager will provide input into CAAIN’s strategic direction and develop and implement CAAIN’s competitive programs. The incumbent will also oversee delivery of CAAIN initiatives including monitoring project milestones and financial performance, and will be accountable for (but not limited to) the following:
- Research or investigate agriculture and food sector emerging issues and trends to provide guidance to the CEO
- Provide recommendations for CAAIN’s strategic and business framework that responds to emerging market opportunities, addresses issues, and supports future industry needs
- Develop or contribute to white papers designed to inform CAAIN plans and programming
- Participates in business plan review, providing advice for development of documents and programs
- Contribute to development and implementation of CAAIN’s competitive research and innovation programs including guidelines, application templates, and applicant resource materials
- Leading or participating in the assessment of applications including critical review of budget documents for eligible expenses, arranging for technical and/or scientific peer review and supporting development of committee recommendations
- Leveraging funding opportunities through industry collaborations and partnerships
- Managing individual project files by monitoring milestone achievement, project progress, and conducting financial analysis
- Provide coaching, guidance, and resources to potential applicants and project leads
- Gathering data to populate required reports and develop assessment methods for monitoring CAAIN’s outcomes
- Seeking and maintaining effective partnerships with a broad range of Canadian agri-food and technology industry stakeholders in support of CAAIN programming
- Fostering national connections between government, academics, and industry
- Working collaboratively with stakeholders to identify opportunities, challenges, issues and solutions
- Lead program related CAAIN sponsored events such as workshops, conferences, annual meetings, etc. and contribute to CAAIN hosted events to support their success
Required Qualifications and Skills
- A post-graduate degree in agriculture, data, or technology science is required
- A PhD, professional agrologist designation, and project management certificate are preferred
- 5 to 7 years of experience in research related to agriculture in Canada
- A minimum of 3 years of project management, evaluation, and financial oversight experience
- Strong project management, research, environmental scanning, and predictive analysis skills
- Demonstrated ability to coach, mentor, lead, and support project teams
- Knowledge of agriculture and technology applications including trends, research, best practices
- Ability to build partnerships and manage key strategic stakeholder relationships, generating respect and trust from a diverse group of external stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience with change management, and influencing project outcomes
- Motivated self-starter who is driven by results
- Adaptable and can develop creative “out of the box” solutions to challenges
- Superior written and verbal communication ability
- Solid understanding of private sector drivers versus academic drivers in research investment
- Technically savvy and able to use applications and Microsoft platforms
CAAIN offers this opportunity to an exceptional candidate who thrives as part of an experienced, collaborative, high-performing team. Benefits include a competitive salary, paid vacation, and a hybrid home and office work environment.
We offer our employees opportunities to work on projects that will expand their skill sets while witnessing the visible impacts of their efforts. We value the development of our employees and afford them opportunities learn new skills.
CAAIN has implemented a Vaccination Policy in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. All our employees are required either to disclose proof of full vaccination or participate in a rapid antigen testing program. To support client and team member safety, new hires will be required to disclose their vaccination status as a condition of employment. We thank all candidates in advance for their understanding of this policy.
The final candidate will be required to undergo a security clearance. This competition will remain open until a successful applicant is found.
CAAIN IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLE OF EQUITY IN EMPLOYMENT AND ENCOURAGES APPLICATIONS FROM ALL QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS. WE WISH TO THANK ALL APPLICANTS FOR THEIR INTEREST. HOWEVER, ONLY THOSE INVITED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
All applications should be submitted through our Indeed posting.