Canadian Agri-Food Automation and Intelligence Network (CAAIN) is seeking a knowledgeable and detail-oriented finance manager to support and execute our financial processes, reporting, and accounting functions.
Are You Our Finance Manager?
You would be a good fit for this position if you:
- Embrace working with a team that is continually learning and improving; and
- Are a passionate, detail-oriented, and dedicated individual with a corporate finance and accounting background.
CAAIN is a new company located in Edmonton, Alberta, that brings together technology and agri-food companies to create innovative solutions to improve competitiveness, drive growth, and create jobs. We want to attract technology and agri-food players focused on creating and integrating automated and digitised solutions in Canada’s agri-food sector. Some examples of what drives us are innovations in areas of artificial intelligence, advanced sensor technologies, hyperspectral imaging, and blockchain applications that benefit our nation’s 193,492 farms.
Intrigued? Here’s More Information about the Role
Reporting to the CEO, the Finance Manager develops, implements, maintains, and executes CAAIN’s financial systems. Working closely with our existing Finance Manager, and the Alberta Innovates (AI) Finance team as required, the incumbent will complete all operational accounting functions, organisational payroll, financial project/program reporting and preparation of reports for Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada/Strategic Innovation Fund (ISED/SIF). You will be accountable for (but not limited to) the following:
- Developing budgets, forecasting, internal controls, risk management, and overall financial planning and processes.
- Providing financial procurement advice, management and transactions both expense and revenue;
- Preparing reports and updates to support the CEO in providing updates to CAAIN’s board, committees, and stakeholder reporting requirements;
- Working closely with the existing Finance Manager and the AI Finance team, as required, to ensure that all CAAIN financial transactions are reported to ISED for reimbursement and that they are executed in an accurate and timely manner;
- Running payroll and working with AI HR team, as required, to ensure that CAAIN’s staff are paid in an accurate and timely manner;
- Preparing quarterly and annual financial statements, an annual network budget, and analysing budget variances and reconciling areas including CAAIN and research project activities;
- All operational accounting functions; reconciliation of bank accounts, payroll and corporate filings; preparation of GST returns;
- Preparing annual audit information and providing it to independent auditors as per CAAIN Board instructions, and liaising with Government of Canada auditors as required;
- Reviewing project and program revenue and expense contracts and amendments to prepare billings, accruals/deferrals, monthly and year-end reporting, and to ensure the signing authority policy has been followed;
- Compiling contractual rights and obligations for the year-end annual report and for the audit;
- Working closely with CAAIN’s Program Managers to ensure research project activities are on track;
- Working closely with Research Project Leads on their financial obligations;and,
- Preparing reports for ISED on quarterly and annual bases, and working with ISED’s claim team.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Degree in Commerce, Finance, or Accounting (equivalent education and/or experience may be considered in lieu);
- CPA designation is considered an asset;
- 7 years of progressively responsible experience in a corporate finance or accounting function;
- 3-to-5 years of experience reporting on projects or programs;
- Extensive knowledge of business, financial, accounting, operational planning, and accountability processes;
- Self-starter with strong strategic-thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills;
- Team player who displays a strong ability to collaborate and liaise with multiple internal and eternal stakeholders;
- Highly detail oriented;
- Exceptional verbal, written, listening, and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to convey concepts and financial information; and,
- Comfortable with technology, including the Microsoft Office suite of applications, other software relevant to CAAIN (such as SharePoint), and financial systems. Experience with Dext (previously known as Receipt Bank) is an asset.
CAAIN offers the opportunity for a person interested in flexibility and is an exceptional team player. We are focused on growing and expanding a network of companies, academic and research organisations eager to explore how new and emerging technologies can be applied to enhance agri-food productivity.
We offer our employees opportunities to work on projects that will expand their skill sets while witnessing the visible impacts of their efforts. We value the development of our employees and afford them opportunities learn new skills.
CAAIN has implemented a Vaccination Policy in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. All our employees are required either to disclose proof of full vaccination or participate in a rapid antigen testing program. To support client and team member safety, new hires will be required to disclose their vaccination status as a condition of employment. We thank all candidates in advance for their understanding of this policy.
How to Apply
Please apply through our Indeed posting.
The final candidate will be required to undergo a security clearance. This competition will remain open until a successful applicant is found.