November 2, 2022
Finance Coordinator Opportunity
About the Canadian Agri-Food Automation & Intelligence Network
CAAIN is a not-for-profit organization principally funded by the Government of Canada to support advancement of technological innovation in the Canadian agri-food sector, with a focus on automation & robotics, data-driven decision-making, and the validation and demonstration of emerging technology. We do this in three ways: First, we support relevant research and innovation being developed by small and medium-sized Canadian enterprises. Second, we are building a network of stakeholders interested and involved in our country’s agriculture and food industries and third, we are building a network of smart farms that will validate emerging technology and demonstrate this technology to the surrounding agriculture community. We seek to eliminate barriers to progress, thereby helping to ensure the long-term sustainability and security of the agri-food businesses responsible for feeding a growing population in Canada and around the world.
About the Opportunity
CAAIN is seeking an exceptional accounting & finance professional to work closely with, and report to, our Finance Manager. If you’re the right fit, you will be responsible for:
- Interpreting and analyzing financial data to assist the Finance Manager and CEO in key decision-making;
- Participating in forecasting, budgeting, and developing reports for the CEO, Board of Directors, and Shareholders;
- Carrying out operational accounting functions, managing organizational payroll, conducting financial research, and contributing to research & innovation project/program reporting; and,
- Participating in the preparation of reports to Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED).
Financial systems and reporting of CAAIN’s portfolio (10%)
- Participates in developing annual budgets, forecasts, and variance analyses for CAAIN projects and programs, and for the organization as a whole .
- Prepares dashboards and other reports and updates to support the Finance Manager and CEO in updating the Board of Directors.
- Participates in preparing financial reports for ISED as per agreements.
Financial transactions and payroll (40%)
- Runs payroll and works with the Alberta Innovates HR team to ensure that CAAIN staff are paid in an accurate and timely manner.
- Enters and records financial transactions, and works with the Finance Manager and the Alberta Innovates finance team, as appropriate, to ensure that all CAAIN financial transactions (revenues and expenses) are executed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Participates in preparing:
- Quarterly and annual financial statements;
- The annual budget; and,
- Analyses of budget variances (network and research projects).
- Participates in all operational accounting functions, including:
- Reconciliation of bank accounts, payroll, and corporate filings; and
- Preparation of GST returns.
Program and project financials (50%)
- Works closely with Research Project Leads to ensure they understand and meet their financial obligations.
- Reviews documents provided by Project Leads and Ultimate Recipients for reimbursement, and ensures the expenses are accurate and eligible as per the terms of the Contribution Agreement with ISED.
- Works closely with CAAIN’s Program Managers to provide reconciliation and to evaluate the financial progress of research & innovation project activities.
- Provides reconciliations of CAAIN network activities.
- Reviews revenue and expense contracts and amendments to:
- Prepare billings, accruals/deferrals, and monthly and year-end reporting; and
- Ensure the signing authority policy has been followed.
- Provides analysis of assigned areas.
- Participates in preparing quarterly and annual reports for ISED, and works with their claims team to resolve any differences.
- Post-secondary education in Accounting or Finance
- University degree in Accounting or Finance
- 3 years of progressively responsible experience in a corporate accounting setting
- 3 years of experience reporting on projects or programs
- Extensive knowledge of business, financial, accounting, and accountability processes
- 5-to-7 years of progressively responsible experience in a corporate finance or accounting setting
- 5 years of experience reporting on projects or programs
Certifications / Licences
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation preferred
Skills and Abilities
- Able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines using time-management and organizational skills
- Flexible and able to adjust to a changing environment
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Able to convey financial information in plain language
- High level of competency with the Microsoft Office suite of applications, QuickBooks, and other software relevant to CAAIN
If you are a skilled accounting & finance professional and an exceptional team player, CAAIN offers a flexible, stimulating work environment. We provide our employees the chance to work on projects that will expand their skill sets while allowing them to witness the tangible impacts of their efforts. We value personal and professional development, and afford staff members opportunities to acquire the skills they feel will advance their careers. Finally, we enjoy a hybrid work week with ample free parking for those days we are in our South Edmonton offices.
The final candidate will be required to undergo a security clearance. This competition will remain open until a successful applicant is found.
CAAIN is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit your detailed resume and cover letter through our Indeed posting by clicking here.