Full Time, Term Position Ending March 31, 2026
Canadian Agri-Food Automation and Intelligence Network (CAAIN) is seeking a knowledgeable and enthusiastic Program Manager to contribute to our organisation’s program delivery and our co-investment in Canada’s AgTech sector.
Are You Our Next Program Manager?
You would be a good fit for this position if you:
- Are passionate about Canada’s agriculture and food sectors and the positive impact that further developing automated and digitised technologies will have in the near future
- Have a strong network of connections and enjoy using your expertise to collaborate with multiple stakeholders
- Enjoy being an active contributor to your organisation’s strategy and its implementation
CAAIN is a national not-for-profit entity that brings together technology and agri-food companies to create innovative solutions to improve competitiveness, drive growth, and create jobs in Canada. We want to foster collaboration among technology and agri-food companies focused on creating and integrating automated and digitised solutions in Canada’s agri-food sector. Developments in the areas of artificial intelligence, advanced sensor technologies, hyper-spectral imaging, and blockchain applications for Canadian agri-food producers are examples of what drives us.
Intrigued? Here’s More Information About the Role
Working collaboratively with team members, industry stakeholders and advisory committees, the Program Manager will provide input into CAAIN’s strategic direction and develop and implement CAAIN’s competitive programs. The successful applicant will also oversee delivery of CAAIN initiatives, including monitoring project milestones and financial performance. The incumbent will be accountable for (but not limited to) the following:
- Researching or investigating agriculture and food sector emerging issues and trends to provide guidance to the CEO
- Providing recommendations for CAAIN’s strategic and business framework that responds to emerging market opportunities, addresses issues, and supports future industry needs
- Developing or contributing to white papers designed to inform CAAIN plans and programming
- Participating in business plan review, providing advice for development of documents and programs
- Contributing to the development and implementation of CAAIN’s competitive research and innovation programs including guidelines, application templates, and applicant resource materials
- Leading or participating in the assessment of applications including critical review of budget documents for eligible expenses, arranging for technical and/or scientific peer review, and supporting development of committee recommendations
- Leveraging funding opportunities through industry collaborations and partnerships
- Managing individual project files by monitoring milestone achievement and project progress and conducting financial analysis
- Providing coaching, guidance, and resources to potential program applicants and project leads
- Gathering data to populate required reports, and developing assessment methods for monitoring CAAIN’s outcomes
- Seeking and maintaining effective partnerships with a broad range of Canadian agri-food and technology industry stakeholders in support of CAAIN programming
- Fostering national connections between government, academics, and industry
- Working collaboratively with stakeholders to identify opportunities, challenges, issues, and solutions
- Leading , and contributing to the success of, program-related CAAIN-sponsored events such as workshops, conferences, and annual meetings
Qualifications and Skills We Require
- A post-graduate degree in agriculture, data, or technology science is required
- A PhD, professional agrologist designation (P.Ag.), and/or project management certificate are preferred
- 5 to 7 years of experience in research related to agriculture in Canada
- A minimum of 3 years of project management, evaluation, and financial oversight experience
- Strong project management, research, environmental scanning, and predictive analysis skills
- Demonstrated ability to coach, mentor, lead, and support project teams
- Knowledge of agriculture and technology applications including trends, research, and best practices
- Ability to build partnerships and manage key strategic stakeholder relationships, generating respect and trust from a diverse group of external stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience with change management, and influencing project outcomes
- Motivated self-starter who is driven by results
- Adaptable and able to develop creative “out of the box” solutions to challenges
- Superior written and verbal communications
- Solid understanding of private-sector, as opposed to academic, drivers in research investment
- Technically savvy and able to use applications and Microsoft platforms
CAAIN offers the opportunity for the right individual to influence the leading-edge intersection of agriculture and technology. We are focused on growing and expanding the network of companies and academic and research organisations seeking to explore how new and emerging technologies can be applied to enhance agri-food productivity and return premiums to those who participate.
We offer our employees the chance to work on projects that will expand their skill sets while witnessing the visible impacts of their efforts. We value the development of our employees and create opportunities that allow new skills to be learned.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a security clearance. This competition will remain open until a successful candidate is found.
CAAIN has implemented a Vaccination Policy in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. All our employees are required either to disclose proof of full vaccination or participate in a rapid antigen testing program. To support client and team member safety, new hires will be required to disclose their vaccination status as a condition of employment. We thank all candidates in advance for their understanding of this policy.
CAAIN IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLE OF EQUITY IN EMPLOYMENT AND ENCOURAGES APPLICATIONS FROM ALL QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS. WE WISH TO THANK ALL APPLICANTS FOR THEIR INTEREST. HOWEVER, ONLY THOSE INVITED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.
All applications should be submitted through our Indeed posting.